Saturday, January 26, 2008

Time will tell who you really are

One of the things that I hated when I was 21 and just out of college was the lack of respect that I got from the rest of my team in the work place. I would bust my tail to prove myself and most of the time I did prove myself to be intelligent, polite, hard working and ethical among other things. What I could not prove was the time I spent was earning respect!

What I have learned from that situation is that not matter how intelligent, hard working, old or young you are you still have to prove yourself with TIME at the workplace.

In my position I work with and for people that are two to three times my age. They are extremely happy with the fact that I work hard and am intelligent but they also look how I react to different situations. In particularly there has been a change in my management style over the years in which I have learned from my elders.

Yes, I admit, I might not be the brightest and best suited for every job. I wouldn't have been able to say that when I came out of college.

I have friends who feel that just because their parents earn money they should earn money just the same. They jump from job to job spend 6 months here, a year there, and so on... I would never say anything to them, unless they asked me my opinion.

What most people that were born in the late 70's through the 80's don't understand is that life isn't as instantaneous as your IM or your BLOG for that matter. While I don't recommend working 80 hours a week, I do recommend working overtime on a regular basis, even if it is not for extra pay!

Why do I recommend this?! There are very few people that I would consider wealthy that don't work at least 50 hours a week. In the business world I look at promotions based on quality of work, effort put in, attitude and of course willingness to put in the extra amount when needed(there are other things I look for, but these are some of the most important).

This is considered a commitment, which all to many of us are afraid of! so don't jump ship from your job in 6 months because of one little thing, don't leave in a year, spend approximately 2-3 years learning and building the tools you need, then move on to a HIGHER paying job somewhere else.

TIME on the job will gain you much respect and much more money in your next position!

No comments: